Monday, July 25, 2011

Crash Course in Civil Service...Oh, Thank You Minneapolis

Yesterday wrapped up a four-day conference in Minneapolis, Minn. for several collegiate journalists, all aspiring to do three things: Make their college newspapers better, network and enjoy some days out the norm.

For me, I got a crash course in civil service and a nice reminder why I do what I do--because God enabled me to do it and it's one of the most important jobs a single person could hope to have.

Am I biased?

Absolutely.

Do I believe what I just typed?

Definitely.

Journalism--good journalism--is community service. It's working for the people. It's watching government who, believe it or not, don't always have everyone's best interest at heart and calling them on it when they're found out. It's getting the people's stories out there. It's even helping people find answers.

Sitting in two sessions taught by Mark Witherspoon, I felt the reinvigorating surge of service that comes with a career in public service.

What journalists do is not trivial in the slightest.

In fact, if there were no journalists, it's quite possible we'd be a generation of the uninformed walking around in blissful ignorance. Maybe this is my imagination getting the better of me, but ever see Pleasantville?

So, you get the picture.

I thank God for journalists. Now, I fully realize that less than 9 percent of journalists go to church or have a belief in God or any higher deity. But, in my view, what reporters do is a God-given, God-inspired gift that shouldn't be taken for granted.

This job is important.

So, I thank Minnesota and the Associated Collegiate Press 28th Annual Conference for reminding this aspiring community reporter why trekking to city council meetings, budget workshops, Board of Trustees meetings, special-called meetings, etc. is all worth the time and effort.

To all student journalists who are gearing for graduation and want to serve the people...I say kudos.

No comments:

Post a Comment