Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Community Journalism: It's A Passion

Okay, there are many things that a man can call a passion.

For example, a man can be passionate about his work.

A man can be passionate about his faith.

A man can be passionate about his toe.

In today's society, we commonly find people passionate about making money. You can say they love their work, but the bountiful paycheck (if you can find jobs that have those anymore) doesn't hurt.

I haven't personally met many millionaires who were also passionate.

My perspective is skewed, of course, considering my desire is to enter the world of media--where salaries are cut, paychecks lofty and jobs tenuous.

Being a journalist has to be a labor of love.

Finding a story, digging around for research, scoping out sources, interviewing sources, writing on deadline, writing well, writing better than the nearest competitor, writing better than your co-worker, writing better than you did yesterday, writing better than you did one hour ago--all of this has to constitute a mad, agape love for what we do.

Otherwise, reporters would go insane.

Not everyone understands this passion, of course.

Some would prefer the comforts of an office, 9 til 6, Monday-Friday, without fail, without spontaneity, without room for the unusual, without excitement.

Others, on the other hand, thrive on being on the go constantly; thrive from the adrenalin pumping through one's veins when they sniff out a hot story (especially if they get it first).

Personally, I enjoy journalism immensely--it's one of my passions.

I like reporting.

I enjoy interviewing sources.

I get excited throughout the whole process.

I giggle a bit on the inside when I find out tidbits of new information that only a privileged few know.

I find utter release and experience euphoric, rapturous joy when I craft words into Mona-Lisa masterpiece portraits and then see my byline above them.

Weirdly enough, I like the texture of newsprint.

My desire is to work for a community daily or weekly paper. I want to be immersed in a community--not separated from it. I want to be the reporter the people come to and divulge knowledge to because they are confident I will find it out, write it well and report it fairly and accurately.

I want to have coffee with Farmer Joe.

I want to go to church with Old Mrs. Huxley down the road.

When I cut my grass, I want to wave to the new young couple that just moved into the neighborhood.

I want to get into the city council meetings and not be gawked at as if I were an unwelcome stranger.

I want to walk into the police station and be on a first-name basis with the sheriff and lieutenant.

I want to go to Bible study with Mrs. Huxley too.

I want community journalism. It makes any journalist a better one. It keeps us accountable. It keeps us busy. It keeps us good.

Yes, at a community paper, there's a chance one reporter will have the duties equivalent to five staff members at a metro-daily.

It's probable that at a community paper, a rookie will be working eight days a week and be getting paid for at least two of those days.

But it's a true passion and that's why I love the work.

Working as assistant news editor of The Johnsonian has only exacerbated that love.

Times have been tough. Managing it all has been difficult. I would quit if I didn't love it so much. But I do and that's why I want to keep going.

I view journalism as God's mandate for my life.

People can be reached by my words. Souls can be saved by a few paragraphs.

My all time goal is to either work for a strictly Christian publication or own my own.

If it's God's will, it will happen.

In the meantime, I'm going to get my feet wet, gain the experience, establish the connections and definitely produce the clips.

This passion of mine will continue as long as the Good Lord says so.

I will get better. I will work harder. I will get a job as a community journalist.

My community out there--whoever you are, wherever you are--get ready.

Sheriff Wilkes and Officer Williams, I'll be knocking on your door first thing Monday morning.

Farmer Joe, make sure to order me a small coffee with six sugars and two creams.

Mrs. Huxley, my favorite Scripture is Matthew 11:28. Save me a seat at Bible study.

No comments:

Post a Comment