Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Time for God?

As I engaged in a mind spill late tonight, I had to ask myself an important question…where’s my time with God?

I take the time to do my homework.

I take the time to report, write and conduct interviews.

I take the time to assist with layout and page design at least two nights a week, as well as compile a police blotter.

I take the time to go to Bible study, usually sitting on the inside with my mind in so many different places at once that I feel like I’m going to pass out.

I take the time to eat…occasionally.

I take the time to text…usually it’s business related.

I take the time to read my Bible.

I take the time to pray (not as frequently as I used to).

I take the time to go to each and every class.

I take the time to drink a cup of coffee.

In all of this, where did I actually spend time with God?

I can argue that He’s with me always. Well, that’s a given.

I can say, wait, when I read my Bible, I receive direct revelation from Him because He’s speaking to me, right? Well, not necessarily. God is speaking to me, but as a free moral agent, I can always not listen to Him.

Sure I can say I’ve been in Bible study faithfully, but just like Christians can sit in church and receive nothing from the Lord, I can sit in Bible study and still be scatterbrained.

Monday- Thursday I am on Winthrop’s campus generally from 8:30 a.m. until 11 p.m.

That’s a lot of time in one general area.

During those several hours, I wonder how much time I’ve spent with God?

I know I pray. I know I stop doing whatever arduous task I’m engaged in at the time and utter a quick, “Thank you Lord, I love you God.”

But that’s not enough. This I know for a fact
Intimacy with Christ is a direct correlation with a relationship with Him. There was a time when Christ and I were very intimate. Of course, I wasn’t as busy then and I got more sleep.

Still, no excuse. If I can’t pray and fast and praise in the midst of the busy, constantly on-the-go, no stopping ever days of the week, then how strong is my faith?

This is just another mind spill. A deep self reflection that I’m allowing to be published.

Why?

Because I know I’m not the only one. If there’s another Christian in college out there, you know this scenario. You probably know it very well.

Stay encouraged.

Speak the Word of God over your life. That’s what keeps us sustained. That’s what builds our faith-muscles. That’s what draws us closer to Christ.

James 4:4, “Come near to God and He will come near to you”

It’s true.

This is all about relationship.

God never told me to overwhelm myself to the point of collapse.

He never said ignore Him in the process either.

There’s much from this semester that I must repent of. There’s a whole four months of spiritual growth and closeness with Christ that I missed out on.

It was my fault.

I was just too busy for God.

Hmm, now that I think about it—that sounds like a unbeliever’s excuse for not being a Christian.

I’ve…we’ve got to do better.

He deserves so much more.

Lord, forgive us all. Thank you for the capacities you’ve placed in our lives—from journalism to biology to English to barbering to administration to ministry. Help us manage it all. Help us balance it all. Help us love you more. Help us love others more. Help us be closer to you. Help us find time with you.

Now, I need to end the mind spill.

I need to spend time with God…with my refuge…with my sanctuary.

Harmony with God is possible. It's time to seek it.

No comments:

Post a Comment