Saturday, February 26, 2011

Corporate Communicator?

Journalism is a burning passion, consuming my insides like a fire shut up in my bones.

Yet, even I have started questioning whether this is where God wants me.

I know, I know...didn't expect that one did you?

After all, how could I question journalism when I'm the assistant news editor for The Johnsonian, am all over this campus for coverage, always looking for some kind of news to write about, am part of a black journalism organization, write for my church's newsletter, was the editor-in-chief of my school newspaper, has networked with reporters and editors from The Herald to The Charlotte Observer to The Gaston Gazette, have sent my clips to several news organizations and consistently check the latest headlines for Rock Hill's local newspaper?

If anything, I'm made to work at a newspaper. It's in my blood. It's in my sweat. It's even in my tears.

And yet, the second-semester of my junior year, I am--for the first time--considering not working at a newspaper.

Before any of my mass comm. professors deem me hypocritical and inquire as to whether I'm undergoing any kind of crisis of faith, please try to understand where I'm coming from.

The newspaper journalist has changed tremendously with the dawning of social media and an all-pervasive Internet.

News is expected to be updated as soon as it breaks. Facebook and Twitter leave no room for mistakes or lagging behind.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing at all, but it seems that the document-driven, hard news investigating, grammatical-perfecting news reporting of yester-year is no longer as appreciated as it once was.

In addition to Facebook and Twitter, a journalist's work hours have extended.

Steady vacation time is rare.

Holidays happen, but you're always on call.

A journalist's life is driven by the news--trust me, I know. I'm experiencing it already in college.

Do I still enjoy it?

Absolutely!

But, as a tired, overworked and chronically fatigued 20-year-old, do I want to be 40 before I'm 30?

No, not really.

Do I want to neglect my family?

Not at all.

Do I want to occasionally miss church because I need to be in the office?

No I really don't.

Don't get me wrong, I know not only journalists work on Sundays but still, it's the principle of the thing...

I've spoken with former veteran journalists who left the career to focus more on their families. They took "safer" jobs in PR so they could actually be home to cook dinner and at least look their children and spouse in the eyes.

I know two senior journalism majors on The Johnsonian who are preparing to graduate. One is heading for Alaska before starting work. The other is going 'down under,' to Australia. She wants to take a year off before starting at a paper, just because she's felt the stress and pressure of being a student journalist and wants a rest.

Who can blame her?

It's not easy adhering to 50 deadlines at once.

So, I've started to wonder about corporate communications.

The same passion isn't there, to be honest.

But it would be safer. I would get holidays and weekends.

I would go into work at 8:30 and, chances are, be off at 5 or 6.

A lot of journalists hate the stuffy, office life. I know I would too.

Corporate communications forces me to be active--seeking new ways to keep employees, clients, etc. informed on all company activities.

Then, there's more money.

I don't want to sell out my passion for more money, but in this tough economy, it's been a passing thought.

I haven't lost faith in God.

I know He has me; I know He'll place me where He wants me. I'm just wondering if He really wants me at a paper. Would I be as active or effective in ministry? Would I have time to have a life outside of work?

I know many journalists who do have lives outside work, and who do have families.

Still, it's something I've had to consider.

Corporate communications would force me to use my journalistic skills, no doubt, but would it be the same as covering a beat? Would I receive the same satisfaction at the end of the day after writing a comprehensive, detailed feature story or a compelling hard story? Would I get used to not seeing my byline in print?

I can't say for sure anymore.

I'm believing that the answer will become clearer soon.

In the meantime, I'm considering my options with a B.A. in Mass Communication: Journalism.

I'll continue to write for The Johnsonian.

I'll continue to do my best in all that I can do.

Earlier this week, an elder from my church told me that it's good for us to wrestle with what we do or plan to do for a career.

I sure am dragging myself through the mud and enduring a body-slam.

Will it manifest? Will I land where the Lord wants me?

If I continue to put my faith in trust in Him, absolutely.

Just ask me after May 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment