Friday, February 25, 2011

NABJ hosts cultural event program, impresses yet again

Ok, so the headline may be a little biased and subjective, but come on, why not do some internal reporting/bragging on a personal blog?

WUNABJ (Winthrop University Association of Black Journalists) hosted and facilitated, "Is It Because I'm Black?" a panel featuring several black professionals discussing racial discrimination, stereotyping and career advancement in the workplace.

It was also an approved cultural event, something all Winthrop students need if they plan to walk across the stage.

All I have to say is that I'm very proud of this organization.

It's an unexplainable feeling to see something you're a part of grow and gain notoriety.

I'm not saying we're infamous on campus, but we're a black organization that's doing something big.

I'm not saying other black organizations on campus don't, but we're a bit different. We're a group full of up and coming, aspiring black media professionals and we're doing well. We're putting on mixers--something Winthrop's Mass Comm. department hasn't done before. We're winning cultural event status--something the Society of Professional Journalists hasn't been too successful at doing.

Not to look down on my own academic department, but I feel that NABJ has really made some strides in the last couple of months and I pray that we continue to go forward.

I thank God that I'm a part of this organization and I thank God for the people I work with. We may not all talk the same, look the same or agree about the same things at all times, but one thing we do agree about--we want NABJ to be big and we want to make a difference.

More importantly, we realize and appreciate the importance of networking.

Great job NABJ...let's keep it moving!

No comments:

Post a Comment